>At the Genome Science Centre, we have a platform Scientific Advisory Board meeting coming up in the near future, so a lot of people are taking the time to put together some information on what’s being going on since the last meeting. As part of that, I was asked to provide some information on the FindPeaks application, since it’s been relatively successful. One of those things was how many times it’s been downloaded.
Surprisingly, it’s not an insigificant number: FindPeaks 2.x has been downloaded 280 times, while FindPeaks 3.1.x has been downloaded 325 times. I was amazed. Admittedly, I filtered out google and anything calling itself “spider”, and didn’t filter on unique IPs, but it’s still more than I expected.
The other surprise to me was the institutions from which it was downloaded, which are scattered across the world. Very cool to see it’s not just Vancouver people who took an interest in FindPeaks, though I somewhat suspected as much, already.
Thinking of FindPeaks, I put in one last marathon cleaning session for all my software. I’m sure I’m somewhere north of 15,000 lines of code modified in the past week. Even when you consider that some of those changes were massive search-and-replace jobs, (very few, really), or refactoring and renaming variables (many many more), it’s still an impressive number for two weeks. With that done, I’m looking to see some significant gains in development speed, and in developer productivity. (I learned a LOT doing this.)
The last 122 warnings will just have to get cleaned up when I get around to it – although they’re really only 4 warnings types repeated so many times. (The majority of them are just that the branched logic goes deeper than 5 levels, or that my objects have public variables. (You can only write so many accessor functions in a week.)
Anyhow, I’m looking forward to testing out FindPeaks 4.0 alphas starting tomorrow, and to put some documents together on it. (And catch up on the flood of emails I received in the last 2 days.
Finally, I’m working on a MAQ file interpreter for another project I’m working on. If I ever manage to figure out how to interpret the (nearly undocumented) files, I’ll post that here. If anyone’s done this already (though I didn’t see anything publicly available on the web), I’d love to hear from them.